Pages

Tuesday 17 January 2012

London Art Fair

So, tonight I was treated to attending a VIP preview of the London Art Fair which runs from tomorrow (18th) through to 22nd January.

I have to say that one of the highlights of the evening was being picked up in a magnificent long-wheel based Audi A8 (sponsors of the event)!!

Our driver Malcolm was excellent, showing my guest and I what all our controls were in the back and generally taking great pride in the praise we were laying on our rather posh transport for the evening.
We decided not to play with any of the buttons, and so poor Malcolm had to endure 30 minutes of girlie chat as we made our way from my offices in Mayfair to the Business Design Centre in Islington.

On arrival we were shown round the houses quite a bit, as they event staff mistook the name of the event organiser for the name of an artist, and so tried to send me to a particular gallery rather than to pick up my tickets!

Anyway, we finally made it to the right place and picked up my VIP credit card (!) which allowed us in to the Collectors lounge for free Champagne.

Little did we know that there was free Champagne being served throughout the whole exhibition.

(Get them drunk and they will buy!)


So, I guess I should say something about the art. I have to admit to being more a fan of traditional rather than modern art. Some of it I just don't get, but my guest was an art teacher and so I let her lead the way and educate me on what we were looking at.

However, that quickly descended to more girlie chat, which must have been spoken louder than we were aware of, as we attracted the attention of some fellow guests, who seemed amused and shocked at what we were chatting about in equal proportion!

Surprisingly there was a lack of dismay at our lack of attention to the artworks themselves, although there were a fair few pieces that were worth breaking our conversation for and even drew me to compare them to a Vermeer! (Flexing my art muscles there).



We met up with some friends who were also attending and therefore revisited the parts of the gallery that they hadn't seen. I wasn't quite prepared for that and having been stood up for 2 hours in my 13cm Louboutins I was starting to feel the need to sit and eat, more than stand and drink.

However, I did get to see some really interesting pieces, and some interesting people! There were works by some truly famous artists such as Damien Hirst and his dots, although I couldn't quite get my head round why you'd spend over £3,500 on this. But then, what do I know!

Thankfully, we moved on quickly and efficiently and were soon heading out of the door and heading to Frederick's for dinner!(Restaurant Review to follow, but now for bed)

But a great night and a great privilege to attend the preview.

Many thanks to Garnett Art Advisory!

No comments:

Post a Comment