Pages

Sunday 23 January 2011

Social Media: only for the socially deprived?

It is an often fought debate whether social networks increase relationships with your friends or reduce face-to-face interaction and therefore reduce, or at least change the basis of, our social interaction.

We meet up and speak in person far less than we used to, instead we type rather than speak. We are 'friends' with people we perhaps haven't seen for years or even decades and yet see our closest friends less often.

It is true that we are a more mobile society and that we tend to move away from our home towns, and therefore our friends. But I think it's more than just not communicating in person. It's the way we communicate.
Our online communication is predominantly one-way.
We make announcements or 'status updates'; we say something online without really saying it to anyone in particular, without it being a conversation. It then only turns into a conversation if someone responds. The rest of the time we are communicating by swapping statements about each other.

This lack of conversation, lack of two-way communication, will change our society even more. This is especially the case for people who live alone, who perhaps don't typically speak to anyone in the evening.

I find myself in this group and, in the evening, if I am writing or working at the computer I have Facebook and Twitter open and check them both far too often to see what people are doing. I know that I am craving interaction. If I am just relaxing then my phone is never far away, ready to instantly alert me to any messages that come through.

I find that I use Twitter to follow people I don't know, but that are tweeting about things I am interested in. Facebook is for keeping in touch with friends.

So, the benefit of Twitter is that I am connecting with new people all around the world, sharing their experiences and learning about different ways of life. It's like having modern day pen pals!

Would I prefer to have a boyfriend and spend my evenings talking with him? Of course! But I don't have one at the moment and so whilst I'm looking and until he comes along, I'm happy to stay 'social'!

I think the dangers comes when you choose to stay in a stare at a timeline rather than go out. So, even if you live by yourself, get out there and interact with the world! Even just treating yourself to Sunday lunch out with the papers will make you feel so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment