Pages

Tuesday 24 August 2010

Always on: Have we forgotten how to relax?

It seems that we need to plan time to relax these days, rather than it just being a part of our lives.

It is no longer possible to just take a night to chill out, switch off and relax. Our lives are so busy, there is so much to do with those few hours between work and bed that we are 'always on'. So, it appears we need to go out of our way to get away from this and truly relax.

We tend to fill any moments of downtime such as the commute home with playing games, sudoku, email, learning and even working! We don't take the time to let our brains rest and just think, marking the end of the working day and the start of our own time. We are 'always on' with something. Does this effect us when we get home? Were we calmer before? Or are our brains sharper now that they are always in fifth gear?

I found myself recently on a spa weekend with a friend, with nothing to do but have a few treatments, lounge around and eat. This was quite unnerving. I wasn't really comfortable with doing nothing and found myself filling the time. I exercised more in one day than I usually do in a week; wrote more material for blogs than I normally do in a month and checked in online far more often than is healthy! So my body was on downtime, but my brain wasn't slowing down with it.

We should introduce some downtime back in to our everyday lives; just closing our eyes and taking time to think, feel and just be. Perhaps then we wouldn't need to make another action point in our over busy lives...Monday 9.00am - must plan some time in to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment